Chinese people highly value tenacity and industriousness. However, despite the rapid development and growth the country has experiences over the past several decades, many millions of Chinese continue to struggle to survive because they are living in abject poverty. It is time for Chinese academics to stand up and do more to fight for the poorest in society. Having recently launched in 2019, ASAP China is an emerging Chapter but is quickly establishing a dedicated network of scholars who will be sharing their knowledge and expertise with those most in need.
ASAP China’s aim is to enrich the body of learning on issues of poverty in China using creativity and serendipity but also robust evidence to enrich debates on poverty globally. We all know, provided we can stand together and united, poverty will not be as grim as before.
To make China a country free of poverty of any kind
To make knowledge about poverty reduction freely accessible to all
Values: independence, freedom, creativity, participation, sharing knowledge, inclusiveness
Priority areas and key research questions:
- Pro-poor technology: Does pro-poor technology really exist? What is the role of GM, blockchain or AI in alleviating poverty? What is the next pro-poor technology?
- Inclusive growth: What are the main barriers to inclusive growth in China? How can inclusive growth be enhanced to benefit all of China’s people?
- Inclusive finance: Has inclusive finance gone too far in China? What are the most effective inclusive finance business models for rural and urban areas in China, respectively?
- Equality for marginalized groups: Which groups are most marginalized in China? How is the best way to reduce the inequality gaps to help them?
- Institutional causes of poverty: Which is the best framework to analyse the institutional causes of poverty today? How does this apply to China?
Webinar – “Poverty Reduction in China through Education: The Roles of Chinese Academics”
Date: 26 July 2020 (09:30-10:30am CST)
Everyone is welcome to attend. You can join the meeting through Tencent’s WeChat using Meeting ID:629 504 065. Password: 54321