Campaign – The Russian Invasion of Ukraine: Making Tourism a Force for Peace
The Russian Invasion of Ukraine: Making Tourism a Force for Peace – A Call From Tourism and Hospitality Academicians and Students
On February 24, 2022, the Russian Federation invaded Ukraine and so began the largest assault on a European state since 1945.
Please sign the following campaign: https://www.change.org/p/tourismforceforpeace
Accordingly, tourism academicians:
• voice support for the call from Colombia, Guatemala, Lithuania, Poland, Slovenia, and Ukraine requesting the suspension of the membership of the Russian Federation from the UNWTO in accordance with Article 34 of the Statutes for conducting a policy, contrary to the fundamental aim of the Organization as enshrined in Article 3 of the Statutes of the UNWTO .
• call on the members of the World Travel and Tourism Council to suspend any business operations they have in the Russian Federation and to make the extent of their business operations in the country transparent to the travelling public.
• call on tourism-related academic departments and institutions to suspend all institutional relations with departments and institutions in the Russian Federation.
In order to fulfill the values of tourism as a force for peace, and to reinforce sanctions regimes we further encourage:
• all travel and tourism businesses to suspend their activities that enable tourist traffic to and from the Russian Federation.
• ask all tourists to not travel to the Russian Federation until such time as Russia has withdrawn from Ukraine and ceased its armed aggression in compliance with UN General Assembly Resolutions.
In conclusion, we invite representatives of the tourism and hospitality academy and students of tourism and related fields of study to sign this petition against the Russian invasion of Ukraine. If you support this initiative, please support our action by signing and by sharing:
Let us make a #TourismForceForPeace until justice has been served.
Michal Apollo, University of Silesia in Katowice, Poland; Global Justice Program, Yale University, USA; Academics Stand Against Poverty, USA
C. Michael Hall, University of Canterbury, New Zealand; Oulu University, Finland; Linnaeus University, Sweden; Lund University, Sweden; Taylor\’s University, Malaysia; Co-editor, Current Issues in Tourism
Ian Wickens, On Tourism & Sustainability, UK