PLEASE CLICK TO BOOK YOUR FREE TICKETS
Dedicated to the Memory of the Great Thinker and Activist, Prof. Peter Marcuse
Book Launch: Cities Without Capitalism
Edited by: Hossein Sadri & Senem Zeybekoglu
Foreword by: Peter Marcuse
This book explores the interconnections between urbanization and capitalism to examine the current condition of cities due to capitalism. It brings together interdisciplinary insights from leading academics, activists and researchers to envision progressive, anti-capitalist changes for the future of cities.
The exploitative nature of capitalist urbanization, as seen in the manifestation of modern cities, has threatened and affected life on Earth in unprecedented ways. This book unravels these threats to ecosystems and biodiversity and addresses the widening gap between the rich and the poor. It considers the future impacts of the capitalist urbanization on the planet and the generations to come and offers directions to imagine and build de-capitalised and de-urbanised cities to promote environmental sustainability. Written in lucid style, the chapters in the book illustrate the current situation of capitalist urbanization and expose how it exploits and consumes the planet. It also looks at alternative habitat practices of building autonomous and ecological human settlements, and how these can lead to a transformation of capitalist urbanization.
The book also includes current debates on COVID-19 pandemic to consider post-pandemic challenges in envisioning a de-capitalised, eco-friendly society in the immediate future. It will be useful for academics and professionals in the fields of sociology, urban planning and design and urban studies.
Table of Contents
Foreward Peter Marcuse
Part 1: Cities and Capitalism
1. Cities Without Capital: A Systemic Approach
Porus D. Olpadwala
2. Cities and Subjectivity Within and Against Capitalism
Kanishka Goonewardena and Sinead Petrasek
3. Can Urbanization Reduce Inequality and Limit Climate Change?
William W. Goldsmith
4. Tent City Urbanism
Part 2: Cities Against Capitalism
5. Transition Design as a Strategy for Addressing Urban Wicked Problems
Gideon Kossoff and Terry Irwin
6. Transition Pioneers: Cultural Currents and Social Movements of Our Time That “Preveal” the Future Post-Capitalist City
7. Urban Commons: Toward a Better Understanding of the Potentials and Pitfalls of Self-Organized Projects
Mary H. Dellenbaugh-Losse
8. Counteracting the Negative Effects of Real Estate-Driven Urbanism + Empowering the Self-Constructed City
Part 3: Cities Without Capitalism9. What Will a Non-capitalist City Look Like?
10. Towards Democratic and Ecological Cities
11. The Coming Revolution of Peer Production and the Synthetisation of the Urban and Rural: The Solution of the Contradiction between City and the Country